The Internal Control Intern will facilitate the implementation of SCI policies in the Country Office by supporting the Internal Control Manager in implementing, directing and overseeing the auditing and compliance function. S/he will support conduct and direction of audits and ongoing reviews of organisation controls, operating procedures, and compliance with policies and regulations. The intern will be required to assess the soundness, effectiveness, and proper application of accounting and financial controls, compliance procedures and controls and timeliness of documentation generation in the field office. S/he will compile and issue reports detailing conclusions and providing recommendations for improvements. S/he will serve as a liaison for external audit and regulatory agencies and will support fraud management and prevention within the organisation.
The post holder will be expected to build strong relationships across the field office and ensure they are kept up-to-date with changes and events that may have a significant impact on the risk profile of actual or potential activities at field office level.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Qualifications and experience
- University graduate in relevant field of study
- Good spoken and written French and English
- Experience in relevant operational areas (e.g. in programme/project management in an INGO context) and be willing to learn the appropriate audit skills
- Excellent written communication (report writing) skills
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and relationship building
- Strong results-orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind sets
- Willingness to travel within the DRC
- Strong cultural awareness and be able to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Demonstrate standards of ethics and integrity
- Experience of risk-based auditing
- Experience of evaluating systems and processes, identifying weaknesses and areas of improvements
- Commitment to Save the Children's values
- INGO experience or have worked in a commercial/public sector international organisation
- Familiarity with grant requirements of major donors such as USAID, EC/ECHO, DfID and the UN
- Good financial analysis aptitude
- Experience of Agresso financial software or other ERP softwares
- Audit experience
- Counter fraud experience
Contract length: 06 Months (International Internship)
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.